Bengry Motors (Leominster) Ltd is a family run business situated in the pretty market town of Leominster, Herefordshire
The company was founded in the 1940's by Bill Bengry and his brother Gilbert and was initially known as Bengry Brothers Ltd. In 1946 they purchased an old Wesleyan chapel in Burgess Street and converted it into a garage over a period of 12 months. Here they offered complete engine reconditioning, crankshaft grinding etc. In 1948 Bill married Fanny Morgan from The Luce, Steens Bridge, and Gilbert left Leominster to join his father-in-laws company in London so Bill had to "go it alone".
In 1954 he took on firstly the Ford and then the Volkswagon agencies and so the move into car retailing began. Over the years Bengrys have held various different agencies.
Trade continued to improve and in 1963 a new garage was opened at the Bargates and with the extra space avaliable on this site were able to add a petrol forecourt which was open 7 days a week, only closing on Christmas day. The forecourt continues at the Bargates site to this day with the addition of a well stocked Mace convenience shop and off licence.
In the 1970's when the vehicle manufacturers were demanding solus representation Bill embarked on converting his property at Shirlheath, Kingsland into a purpose built site for Renault. Renault however, had other ideas they weren't happy to be out of town, but Bill was having none of it, if they weren't prepared to go along with his plans he had other fish to fry. From this begining the idea of a car auction was born and in 1974 Leominster Car Auctions opened its doors. Today over 200 vehicles a week go through the ring, yet another success story. There is also a highly popular furniture and general sale held every Wednesday evening.
In the late 80's Bill purchased a piece of land at the western end of Southern Avenue Industrial Estate to further expand the business. This included a purpose built tuning facility which boasted a 2 and 4 wheel drive rolling road.
In 1996 the decision was taken to relocate the Peugeot Dealership to Southern Avenue whilst still retaining the petrol station at the Bargates. Sadly Bill passed away in 1997 but not before he had overseen the relocation of the dealership and car wash.
With some regret the decision was taken after Bills death to discontinue the tuning business but 2008 saw the addition of the Mazda franchise to the operation and now in its 4th year this has proved to be a sound move. The restructure of Peugeot Motor Company's dealer operations resulted in the loss of the Peugeot new car sales franchise, however Bengry's have retained the service and parts contracts and so the association which spans over 20 years continues.
2010 saw the addition of the Ford franchise which offers an excellent choice of attractive cars and vans with all the very latest innovations and technological advances you would expect from the UK's leading motor manufacturer.
The focus for the future is to grow the Ford and Mazda sales, service and parts businesses along with quality used car sales and continue to offer the high level of customer service on which the business has been built.
Bill and Fans daughters run the business today. Vivien Melia is Managing Director and Dealer Principal at Southern Avenue and Cynthia Partridge is also a Director and is based at the Bargates Texaco Petrol Station. Their brother Theo Bengry is a Director but leaves the day to day running of the garage to the girls as he has his hands full with his company, Leominster Car Auctions. Cynthia's son Steven joined the company in 1998 and is the Parts Manager.
(To the right is a copy of a letter dated 1963, which invited customers and friends to attend the opening of the new Garage and Service Centre at the Bargates, displays the Ford, VW, Simca, Citreon, Renault and Saab logos and states that Bengry Bros Ltd were "Continental Car Specialists".